Tuesday August 10, 2021
Getting Ready for School
It’s that time of the year when the kids go back to school. Today, school looks different from when we were going. Life is different. How do we navigate in a world of germs and threats to our family? There is a lot of media hype and fear being projected. I feel we need to stop, take a deep breath, and go back to the basics of keeping our loved ones healthy. That means getting the proper amount of sleep, eating real whole foods that aren’t processed, reducing our toxic load, and using natural solutions to support our wellbeing.
Take a good look at your calendar and the kid's activities. Ask yourself, “is this sustainable?” “Does my son or daughter need to be in every after-school activity?” Extracurricular activities are good for exercise and socialization, but if it comes at a cost of sleep deprivation, then you may want to reevaluate the pros and cons of coming home late. Getting the proper amount of sleep helps boost our immune system to help fight off environmental threats. Our bodies regenerate and repair while we are sleeping. Most of us don’t get the sleep requirements needed to maintain optimal immunity.
The National Institute of Health suggests:
- 0-12 months: 12-16 hours of sleep
- 1-3 years: 12-14 hours of sleep
- 3-10 years: 10-13 hours of sleep
- 11-17 years: 9-10 hours of sleep
- 18-50 years: 7-8 hours of sleep
- 50-80 years: 10-11 hours of sleep
- 80+ years: 12-14 hours of sleep
To help get a restful night's sleep for your kids: avoid large meals before bedtime, limit sugar and processed foods, turn off electronics at least one hour before bedtime, and develop a healthy sleep schedule where the kids are in bed at the same time every night. Diffusing dōTERRA’s Lavender or Serenity® Restful Blend can create a calming and relaxing environment for a restful night's sleep.
Upon awaking diffuse doTERRA’s Peppermint and Wild Orange to wake up feeling happy, energized, and refreshed. I love putting 5-10 drops of each in a 10 mL roller and fill with fractionated coconut oil. Roll on pulse points and inhale. It’s like sunshine in a bottle! Feed everyone a nutrient-rich breakfast to give them energy throughout their day. Sometimes cooking a healthy breakfast on a school day can be daunting. Smoothies and overnight oats are great healthy alternatives. They are quick to make and will sustain them until lunchtime.
Overnight Oats Ingredients:
- Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Old Fashion Rolled Oats (comes in Gluten Free)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 cup plant-based milk (unsweetened Almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 drop of Cinnamon Bark or 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
1. You can assemble all the dry ingredients ahead of time in mason jars and add wet ingredients the night before.
2. Add rolled oats, hemp seeds, chia seeds, chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, cinnamon in order.
3. Add plant-based milk
5. Refrigerate over night or for 8 hours
6. Add additional fruit if desired. Shake before serving. Eat cold.
Keep the germs away!
Using a natural hand sanitizer reduces the toxic load from the mainstream over-the-counter ones. Triclosan is a highly toxic antibacterial agent that is found in many hygiene products (deodorant, toothpaste, soap, and hand sanitizers). I highly recommend doTERRA’s OnGuard® Sanitizing Mist Spray or the OnGuard® Sanitizing Hand Wipes for on the go and doTERRA’s OnGuard® Foaming Hand wash. This month we have a special Back to School Essentials kit that contains all of these products! They will easily fit in your child’s backpack or in any kitchen or bathroom in your home, while ensuring that everyone’s hands are clean.
Homemade Hand Sanitizer
- 5 tablespoons Aloe Vera Gel
- 4 tablespoons distilled water
- ¼ teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 8-10 drops OnGuard / Protective Blend
- Small container
- In a bowl combine all ingredients to mix well.
- Add more or less water depending on the consistency you want.
- Pour into a small squeeze or spray container.
Another great tip to help your kids during homework is to diffuse dōTERRA’s Rosemary and Peppermint. It’s the perfect pick-me-up for studying and concentration. The Rosemary & Peppermint helps reduce nervous tension, maintains concentration and supports memory, and reduces the occasional fatigue. Add 10 drops of Lemon, Rosemary, and Peppermint to a 10 mL roller and top off with fractionated coconut oil. Apply to wrists, temples during homework, study session, or before school.
Ease Anxious Feelings
Going to school can cause feelings of anxiousness in our children. Especially during these times. I love using dōTERRA’s Balance® (Grounding Blend) or Serenity® (Restful Blend) to start the day off with calm and tranquility.
It appears that we will need to wear masks for a little longer. I love using a mask spray to help with breathing and boost the immune system. In a one-ounce sprayer, add one drop of dōTERRA’s OnGuard®, dōTERRA’s Breathe® and Lemon. Shake and spray mask as desired.
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Get ready the night before and lay out their clothes, pack their backpack and make lunch.
- Make time for play and physical activities
- dōTERRA essential oils to pulse points, bottoms of feet, back of the neck and diffuse to help boost the immune system, support anxious feelings, help with homework and to relax and unwind.
Feel free to contact me if you are interested in learning more about using natural solutions for you or your family.
While you are scrolling on social media, please hop on over to my Insta and Facebook pages this month. I’m sharing Back to School tips for wellness, recipes, and how to use natural solutions in your daily life.
Until the next time.
Be well, Deanna
Peace. Love. Oils.